Author Topic: Hi All  (Read 3786 times)

BrianHalfBrain

• Server Admin
    • View Profile
Hi All
« on: July 31, 2012, 08:00:14 PM »
Hi I'm BrianHalfBrain, based somewhere in the UK and I've finally got round to joining forums after playing on Pwnshop on and off for a while.  I also play on Lotus, VIA and a few other servers.

Its good to see PwnShop is expanding so I'll try and join more often now. The mods effects are really looking good and it'd be great to see more One vs All.

HolyShadow

• Server Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Hi All
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 05:57:01 AM »
Well, welcome and thanks for the feedback, hope to see you soon on the battlefield! :)

Nite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 02:28:03 AM »
Welcome to the (quiet) forum!

I'll be honest: I don't know when I'll get time to start coding One vs All... I know I wanted it done back in January ~ February but I just couldn't get to it...

Right now, I am trying to manage 4 servers at once (I know for some this would be a cinch) and I still need to rewrite quite a few parts of our current plugin.

So my plan for near future is: keep 2 servers modded (move US #1 to VDS I have rented) and 2 stock/vanilla (but add some minor features / create lightweight build).

Brian, I did not forget about your idea and I will do my best to move on with it in the next month (once above is completed).

BrianHalfBrain

• Server Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 08:36:02 AM »
Thanks Nite, no hurry needed with my idea, I'll post you some more ideas on that soon.

I remember One vs All being the craziest mod I played a few years back but appreciate it takes alot of time to do the coding for it alongside the other work you're doing. Anyway its good to see people filling up the servers more often now.

Is it possible to change the settings for the vanilla servers during the map changeover according to the current player count ? Something like vanilla when less than 10 people are on, and enable RTD mode when more are playing. That way quickplay would help get the servers full then RTD would take over. I guess it depends upon how quickplay works and whether its possible to enable RTD without restarting a server.

Nite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 05:02:18 PM »
Is it possible to change the settings for the vanilla servers during the map changeover according to the current player count ? Something like vanilla when less than 10 people are on, and enable RTD mode when more are playing. That way quickplay would help get the servers full then RTD would take over. I guess it depends upon how quickplay works and whether its possible to enable RTD without restarting a server.

I did install Ultimate Map Chooser so it should do exactly what you said (choose map for current player count).

As for diceroll, I am in process of redoing  or reorganizing (not recoding) our main plugin. However, I am not sure if diceroll is a good idea to run on our vanilla servers... Entire feature is hit or miss, some people like it, others hate it. What's more is it'll contradict the meaning of "vanilla" too so I guess I'll see within next week or two.

Enabling/disabling a feature is a matter of switching CVAR to 1 or 0 so that part is very simple. Detecting player count is also pretty easy.

I definitely need to plan things out... First thing's first: I need to migrate database somewhere else and use that as central point for all of our servers. I wanted to use ClientPrefs extension to store player settings but after looking more into it: I don't think it'll work so I am going to re-create my settings code that I used up until this point.

BrianHalfBrain

• Server Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 03:57:12 PM »
That is a safer way to get the new servers to fill without getting quickplay removed.

It is difficult promoting custom servers these days since quickplay limits the player count and use of mods. I'll have to get on Steam Forums sometime and have a rant about how the TF2 quickplay system needs an overhaul :)

Nite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 09:05:55 AM »
It is difficult promoting custom servers these days since quickplay limits the player count and use of mods. I'll have to get on Steam Forums sometime and have a rant about how the TF2 quickplay system needs an overhaul :)

Be ready to be flamed by every Vanilla fanboy (read: tool) there... They don't like us modders much.